Senior Sous Chef
The Old Fitzroy is a beautiful, quaint little pub tucked away in the heart of Woolloomooloo. With a theatre, brasserie, and main pub bar, we’re the humming heart of our community – and looking for a Senior Sous Chef to help lead our team.
Garnering a 15/20 score in Good Food, the food leans heavily on the provincial flavours of Europe. We put a lot of love and thought into our menu, and craft it with care and consideration. As Senior Sous Chef to Josephine Pignolet Young Chef of the Year Award winner Anna Ugarte-Carral, the role involves the day-to-day running of the kitchen operations, leading and developing our team, as well as menu design, planning, and execution. We change parts of our menu every month, and work together as a team in its creation.
The kitchen works on a four-day roster, with flexibility for other life commitments. We understand that your job is not the only important part of your life, and we respect this reality.
So – if you’re a keen Chef looking to move into a leadership role with more creative freedom and flexibility, The Old Fitz is calling your name!
Details of the role and responsibilities:
- Effectively controlling the food production, with maximum quality and yield
- Collaborating with our Head Chef in the recruitment, training, mentorship and discipline of the team
- Ensuring that all sections are staffed efficiently and that the Chefs de Partie, Commis Chefs and Kitchen Hands are working to the best of their ability with consistent mentorship and improvement
- Making sure the kitchen team is giving an efficient, smooth and quick service while maintaining principles and standards of the venue and Group
- Helping to create and implement new dishes for the restaurant in collaboration with the team
- Offering your creative insight and collaboration in menu design, development, and rotational items and specials, as well as for varying formats (different group sizes, set menus, function packs, etc.)
You’ll need an understanding of:
- Managing and auditing food safety and kitchen hygiene standards
- Assisting to recruit, train, and develop staff within a team
- Managing service holistically across all sections
- Conducting stock-takes and resolving wastage issues
- Developing, implementing and refining creative menu ideas
- Implementing and controlling procedures which facilitate consistent food quality with minimal waste
A career with Odd Culture Group:
We believe in creating a sustainable industry for a career in hospitality – so we’ve got the perks to boot!
- Inclusion in our People & Odd Culture program, providing nationally-recognised training, dedicated mentorship, immersion in OCG projects, and progression in your chosen field
- Group-wide staff discounts across our Sydney venues
- Support and assistance from a skilled and dynamic head office team
- Participate in venue initiatives for creative solutions across the group, with cash and bar tab prizes
If you think we’re a match, and you’d like to be a part of what we create at The Old Fitzroy, apply below with your CV and cover letter, and we’ll be in touch.APPLY