Odd Culture Newtown has fast established itself as an institution on King Street; Timeout Sydney’s #1 Bar, a 14.5 in Sydney’s Good Food Guide, and a sweep of accolades since its inception in October 2021.
The bar, restaurant, and café hybrid, boasts a serious and extensive beverage offering curated by Group Beverage Manager Jordan Blackman, as well an expert kitchen, lead by James MacDonald and Jesse Warkentin, with both facets exploring all things fermentation. A massive wine list (more of a tome), magnums of lambic, Reschs on tap – we’ve got it all.
Odd Culture Newtown is in need of a highly seasoned General Manager, experienced in managing complex, multifaceted bar and high-volume restaurant environments, together with large-scale inventory and stock transfer systems across a bottle shop site. This role requires leadership and management of the venue profit centres in accordance with established Group targets, policy and development initiatives.
This is a terrific opportunity for an experienced hospitality management professional to work as part of a creative Group, fostering collaboration with its senior management and head office teams to drive venue concepts. The Group itself is in a period of substantial growth, and upward mobility is a key value.
What’s involved in the GM position:
- Manage the financial performance of the bar, restaurant and attached bottle shop, ensuring budgets are met and targets achieved.
- Lead the daily operations of your teams, ensuring all the elements that create a brilliant customer experience are delivered consistently.
- Ensure compliance with company systems and standards.
- Act as a leadership figure to uphold the standards of the Group and its values.
- Oversee recruitment and training of your team including identifying and implementing development plans
To be successful in this role you will have:
- 3+ years in a senior venue role or 2+ years in multi-site experience
- Ability to meet (and exceed!) KPIs, and maintain budgetary targets
- Proven forecasting experience
- Strong leadership qualities
- Exceptional time management, planning and organisational skills
- Thorough knowledge of management theory and skills, including effective and appropriate delegation, with the ability to inspire and motivate
- Cost reduction and optimisation skills and experience
- Extensive knowledge of above market food and beverage
- Licensee experience, including Advanced Licensee qualifications, is highly desirable.
A career with Odd Culture Group:
- Hands-on mentorship from seasoned hospitality operators, creating a vision against-the-grain and shaping the Group’s future impact and growth
- Inclusion in our People & Odd Culture program, providing nationally-recognised training, dedicated mentorship, immersion in OCG projects, and progression in your chosen field
- Generous group-wide staff discounts across our Sydney venues
- Support and assistance from a skilled and dynamic head office team
- A generous salary package, plus company tech and phone plan
- Participate in venue initiatives for creative solutions across the group, with cash and bar tab prizes
Apply with your CV and cover letter, and let’s talk.APPLY